5 Conversation Starters That Have Nothing To Do With Crossfit.
If you have been around Crossfit or people who Crossfit any length of time, you are undoubtedly aware of a social stigma: Crossfitters don’t talk about anything other than Crossfit. In fact, there are many jokes and memes about it. Take the following:
- An Atheist, a Vegan and a Crossfitter walk into a bar. I only know because they told everyone within two minutes.
- Crossfit is a lot like reverse fight club, because the first rule of Crossfit is to never shut up about Crossfit.
- I accidentally asked a Crossfitter about Crossfit, and lost 45 minutes of my day.
There is no getting around it, we have a bad reputation for annoying others by constantly talking about Crossfit. However, there is hope. I offer you 5 conversation starters that have nothing to do with Crossfit.
- If you were in a zombie apocalypse, what single weapon would you choose? First, you must establish some ground rules for this scenario. Are we talking fast moving World War Z types, or the sluggish Shaun Of The Dead zombies? The new era zombies are much more frightening than the O.G. zombies of my childhood.
- Avoid saying something like: “I would choose a kettlebell. That reminds me, we had a killer WOD the other day and I used a 72 pounder!”
- Follow-up: Which state do you currently live in, and which state would you want to live in a zombie apocalypse? Link to Map
- If you could teleport by simply blinking your eyes, where would you go right this moment?
- Avoid saying something like: “Dude I would totally teleport to hang out with Rich Froning and Dan Bailey.”
- What animated Disney character would you like to be?
- Since you are a lean, and mean Crossfitter, I would stay away from characters like Gaston, Hercules, Kronk, King Triton, Tarzan, or any other jacked Disney character. Those are too obvious, and may shift the conversation toward Crossfit. Get outside your comfort zone and think outside the box.
- Consider traits other than being jacked. Tap into your sensitive side.
- What is the strangest thing you have eaten?
- Avoid talking about things like Paleo, Gluten free, or any other healthy munchies.
- In fact, leave farmers markets and Whole Foods completely out of the conversation. (I’m actually writing this blog at my local Whole Foods in Boise while enjoying a fine home grown IPA, and Metallica blasting in my earbuds…I feel like a hypocrite)
- There is a great biblical story of King Solomon being visited by God in a dream and granted one wish. Solomon unselfishly asks for a wise and discerning heart to properly govern his people. If you were granted one wish, what would you wish for?
- Avoid saying something like: “I would wish for perfect snatch technique, and a 300 lb PR.”
- Instead, opt for a wish that focuses on others.
It is our passion for Crossfit that drives us to talk about it. We feel like explorers who have stumbled on the key to fitness paradise. However, those who don’t share our passion don’t understand us or our need to share. So rather than annoy people and send them running in the opposite direction, shock the heck out of them by starting your next conversation with one of my 5 conversation starters that have nothing to do with Crossfit.
Full Throttle WOD is NOT associated or affiliated with Crossfit Inc.